Regional Support to Protection-Sensitive Migration Management in the Western Balkans and Turkey – Phase II
Project description: This is a European Union-funded programme implemented in six Western Balkans beneficiaries: Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo*, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Serbia and Turkey in partnership with EBCGA, EASO and UNHCR. It aims to provide a comprehensive and holistic regional approach to migration management systems in the framework of the Instrument for Pre-Accession Assistance (IPA II) and as part of the EU accession processes of the beneficiaries. The Programme focuses on introducing and sharing EU standards and best practices on migration management while supporting the beneficiaries to develop an effective response to mixed migration flows.
- Organizing regional workshops for social workers on best interest assessment and determination and developing a guidance with a view of migration context including transfer of EU practice
- Delivering interpretation and cultural mediation services to migrants
- Providing legal and operational support to standardization of terminology, methodology and data systematisation of migration statistics through a participatory process
- Organizing regional trainings with Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration (AVRR) practitioners on national AVRR implementations
- Facilitating contacts between countries on readmission issues through meetings with Consular and Diplomatic representations of migrant’s top countries of origin
- Designing, accrediting and delivering innovative social services to cater for the needs of vulnerable migrants
- Improved identification, registration and referral of mixed migration flows
- Enhanced information collection, exchange and analysis mechanisms, in line with relevant EU standards
- Strengthened voluntary return mechanisms and operations
- Resilient local communities are created and social cohesion is improved
 This designation is without prejudice to positions on status and is in line with UNSCR 1244/1999 and the ICJ Opinion on the Kosovo declaration of independence.